Top tips on how to start a blog, from naming celebrities like Russ Abbot to randomly mentioning sex
‘Hello, queen of the blogs!’ Ha! This is a friend who knows how to say just the right thing. She wanted some tips on how to start blogging – and it’s also my first anniversary of blogging – so what better way to celebrate then outline a few tips I’ve learnt.
1) Engage! Not ENRAGE! And don’t use exclamation marks…It’s not enough to ‘like’, you must seek out blogs you like (sounds like a good name for a shop: blogs-u-like) and leave a comment. Regularly. My queen engagers are: Carrie Rubin at The Write Transition, JMMcdowell and MsKatyKins.
And see what they have done here? NAME RECOGNITION. I actively look out for them, find their tweets, drop in on blogs. The next stage will be BUYING THEIR BOOKS.
2) Write long, boring headlines, usually with a celebrity’s full name in the title (as long as it is somehow relevant). This increases the chances of you being found by mysterious search engines. Learning a thing or two about Russ Abbot still regularly attracts attention. Yes, Russ Abbot is still alive.
3) See what I did there in Number 2? Casually refer back (aka hyperlink) to a past blog post that attracted – or still attracts – users. This helps to generate more interest…
4) However, my most read blog did have ‘sex’ in the title. Does sex attract the wrong crowd? Is still my best-read blog post. Sad but true. Porn works.
5) Use pictures. Hopefully good quality. Ones that you own the copyright to. Or insert videos. Preferably for free from YouTube. And they must be FUNNY. I’m not sure that relevance matters.
6) The key to blogging though is to build a community. Your community. Where you have conversations with your virtual friends. And sometimes real friends. Not that virtual friends are not real – well, hopefully you get what I mean. Over time, your virtual friends will replace your real friends because you will have no time for anything else in your life.
7) Time management is key. I blog once a week. Some people do it every day. A bit like sex. And we know they lie, right? I try to engage when I can. A bit like sex. I no longer watch telly or talk to my husband. I eat a lot of chocolate because we all know that is better than sex. Right?
8) Oh. And good luck!
Do you have any tips for my friend? Would you do anything differently if you were starting your blog today?